This activity encourages students to learn the addition facts of ten.
NA1-3: Know groupings with five, within ten, and with ten.
Specific Learning Outcomes
identify the addition facts for ten
Required Resource Materials
Six sets of numeral cards 1 to 9.
- This activity is based on the card game Go Fish and is played in groups of 2 to 4.
- Shuffle and then deal out all the cards to the players.
- The students look through their cards and make pairs of cards that sum to 10. These pairs are placed front up in front of each student.
- The students take turns asking one another for a card that they can use to make 10 with a card in their hand.
- If the student asked has the card they must give it up.
- The student keeps asking until they are told that they don’t have a card.
The aim of the activity is to get the most pairs that sum to 10.