The purpose of this activity is to help students learn groupings within 10. For example 3 and 7 make 10; 8 and 2 make 10.
Specific Learning Outcomes
Recall groupings within 10, for example 3 and 7 make 10; 8 and 2 make 10.
- Tell the students they are going to be working with strings of numbers and finding two numbers that add up to 10.
- Write three numbers on the board, ensuring that two of the numbers add to ten. For example: 7,4,3
Which two numbers add together to make 10?
- Once the students have identified the correct number pair, reinforce the number fact:
That’s right, 7 and 3 make 10.
- Repeat with several different strings of numbers.
- Have students work with a partner. Each student writes three numbers, two of which add to 10. Students then swap their work and find the pair of numbers that adds to 10 in their partners work.