This activity provides students with a fun, game context in which to develop recognition of 5 frame patterns and groups to 5.
develop recognition of 5 frame patterns and groups to 5.
Number Framework Stage: Stage 2
Blast Off backing for five frame cards
Blast Off Rocket
- Players are dealt 5 cards each.
- Taking turns, players try to find 2 cards in their hand that have 5 black dots in total.
- If the player has 2 cards that add to 5 they put the cards down and cover one of the 5’s on their rocket with a counter.
- Only one number may be covered in a turn.
- If a player can not make a 5 they must pick up a card.
- If the player is left with 1 or no cards in their hand after their turn they may pick up a card(s) so they have 2 cards.
The first person to fill up their Blast Off rocket is the winner!