Skip to main content
- To develop the children’s understanding of estimation skills and counting.
- Paper bag containing a collection of up to 10 plastic bottle tops.
- Count the bottle tops with your child as you place them one at a time into the bag.
- Ask your child to put their hand in the bag and ‘grab’ a handful of the tops.
- Ask them to ‘guess’ how many they think they have collected.
- Then ask them to show them to you and together count how many they have.
- Repeat as often as you like.
- Try collecting two handfuls and checking how many by counting the two groups together.
- You could use more bottle tops.
- Remember to guess first and then check by counting or adding together.
- You could put numbers on each bottle drop and get the child to pick out one in each hand and add the two numbers together.
Download a file of this activity:
PDF (8KB) or Word (25KB)