Target group: Students in years 3–6
- creating models of whole numbers using place value materials
- ordering three-digit numbers
- using place value partitioning as a strategy to solve addition and subtraction problems.
Teacher observation over a range of activities
The student may have rote-learned place value names and may be able to identify the digit in the tens or hundreds place but cannot create a model of whole numbers. The student may not understand 10 as the basis of our number system and may see 1 purely as a counting unit.
Possible barriers to the student’s progress
- Limited understanding of place value notation
- Difficulty visualising place value groupings
- Limited understanding of groupings of ten
Click to download as a PDF (1.1MB).