This collection of resources has been developed to support the implementation of the Accelerated Learning in Mathematics (ALiM) project.
Beliefs underpinning effective teaching of mathematics:
- Every student’s identity, language, and culture is respected and valued.
- Every student has the right to access effective mathematics education.
- Every student can become a successful learner of mathematics.
Ten principles of effective teaching of mathematics:
- An ethic of care
- Arranging for learning
- Building on students’ thinking
- Worthwhile mathematical tasks
- Making connections
- Assessment for learning
- Mathematical communication
- Mathematical language
- Tools and representations
- Teacher knowledge
See Effective Pedagogy in Mathematics by G. Anthony and M. Walshaw, Educational Practices Series 19, International Bureau of Education, available at: www.ibe.unesco.org