Target group: Students in years 1–4
- part–whole thinking
- understanding place value up to 100
- recalling the basic facts required for early additive strategies
Teacher observation over a range of activities
The student may be able to confidently count on or back to solve addition and subtraction problems but cannot use part–whole strategies.
Possible barriers to the student’s progress
- Limited part–whole thinking
- Limited knowledge of groupings with ten and with the number of tens in decades
- Limited recall of addition and subtraction basic facts
Click to download as a PDF (1.3MB).