Click to read about the purpose of the tasks below (show purpose).
The tasks in this section are intended:
- for students in years 9 and 10
- to complement similar class tasks
- to be a selection only of enjoyable learning opportunities for your child (and for you)
- to generate useful explanations and discussions between you and your child.
The tasks in this section are NOT:
- intended to be comprehensive in their coverage of all maths at year 9 and 10
- drill and practice exercises to learn basic facts.
These Year 6 tasks recognise that students:
- are mostly working at level 5 of the NZ Curriculum, growing in their understanding of number, algebra, geometry, measurement and statistics
- are all different, and some find parts of maths easier or harder than others
- are learning a range of approaches to solving problems that often involve several steps
- learn from and appreciate tasks presented in a variety of ways
- respond well to supportive questions from adults, such as, ‘What is the question asking you to do?’, or ‘What do you already know that might help you (solve the problem)?’
- enjoy exploring open tasks for which there can be a range of appropriate approaches and solutions
(accordingly, set answers are not included for a number of these tasks).
We suggest that you ask your child what they are learning in maths at school, and select a task from this menu.
|Percentage game (PDF, 476KB)||Practise common fraction to percentage conversions.|
|Petfood puzzle (PDF, 933KB)||Calculate using rates and percentages.|
|Planet distances (PDF, 800KB)||Express and interpret numbers in scientific notation.|
|Prime sites (PDF, 511KB)||Find the number of factors of prime and composite numbers.|
|Parachute patterns (PDF, 568KB)||Use graphs and equations to predict further members of a linear pattern.|
|Pātiki pattern (PDF, 820KB)||Predict further members of a quadratic pattern.|
|Savings plan (PDF, 520KB)||Manipulate linear equations to solve problems.|
|Coverup (PDF, 927KB)||Create tiling patterns to cover a flat surface.|
|Prince tribute (PDF, 1.5MB)||Interpret a scale map to solve a real-world problem.|
|Staircases (PDF, 638KB)||Apply trigonometry in practical situations.|
|Cubic towers (PDF, 560KB)||Solve problems involving calculating area and volume.|
|Netball Zones (PDF, 424KB)||Solve problems involving areas in square metres.|
|Dice odds (PDF, 589KB)||Compare experimental and theoretical probabilities.|
|Gaseous problem (PDF, 495MB)||Make statements about data displays.|