Click to read about the purpose of the tasks below (show purpose).
The tasks in this section are intended:
- for students in years 7 and 8
- to complement similar class tasks
- to be a selection only of enjoyable learning opportunities for your child (and for you)
- to generate useful explanations and discussions between you and your child.
The tasks in this section are NOT:
- intended to be comprehensive in their coverage of all maths at year 7 and 8
- drill and practice exercises to learn basic facts.
These Year 6 tasks recognise that students:
- are mostly working at level 4 of the NZ Curriculum, growing in their understanding of number, algebra, geometry, measurement and statistics
- are all different, and some find parts of maths easier or harder than others
- are learning a range of approaches to solving problems that often involve several steps
- learn from and appreciate tasks presented in a variety of ways
- respond well to supportive questions from adults, such as, ‘What is the question asking you to do?’, or ‘What do you already know that might help you (solve the problem)?’
- enjoy exploring open tasks for which there can be a range of appropriate approaches and solutions
(accordingly, set answers are not included for a number of these tasks).
We suggest that you ask your child what they are learning in maths at school, and select a task from this menu.
|Cheeseboard (PDF, 719KB)||Multiply and add decimals to solve budgeting problem.|
|Cover Up kiwi (integers) (PDF, 602KB)||Practise adding integers.|
|Create 2.8 (PDF, 305KB)||Practise adding decimal numbers.|
|Decimal lineup (PDF, 515KB)||Work with fractions and decimals on a number line.|
|Three consecutive numbers (PDF, 658KB)||Recognise a number pattern and write a general rule.|
|Pen patterns (PDF, 773KB)||Recognise a pattern and predict other members.|
|Know when to fold 'em (PDF, 840KB)||Predict the results of reflection.|
|All out (PDF, 601KB)||Apply measurement to solve a real-life problem.|
|Hot and cold (PDF, 708KB)||Read and calculate with temperatures in degrees Celcius.|
|Billie's burger bargain (PDF, 842KB)||Investigate a situation that involves chance.|
|High hopes (PDF, 721MB)||Interpret data and undserstand averages.|