The purpose of this activity is to develop students’ ability to show two-digit numbers using place value material.
Show two-digit numbers using place value material.
Sticks and rubber bands
Provide students with one of the types of equipment listed, for example sticks and rubber bands.
- Write a two digit number on the board, for example, 28.
- Ask each student to count out 28 sticks.
How many groups of ten do you think you can make?
How many will you have left over?
- Have students count the sticks into groups of ten and bundle these together with rubber bands.
How many groups of ten did you make? How many do you have left over?
- Link the numbers of tens and ones back to the written numeral. We have 2 tens (pointing to the 2 in the number 28) and eight ones left over (pointing to the 8 in the number 28).
- Repeat with other 2 digit numbers and using a variety of equipment types.