This problem introduces international time zones.
At 1:00pm, two planes leave one after the other, from Auckland airport. One landsat Christchurch airport at 2:30pm and the other lands at Sydney airport at 2:30pm. Does that mean that Christchurch and Sydney are both the same distance from Auckland?
If not, how long does the plane going to Sydney actually take?
- Pose the problem to the class.
- Ask: Are Christchurch and Sydney the same distance from Auckland?
How is it possible for the planes to arrive at the same time?
- Have students research flight times and time zones.
- Agree on the flight time to Sydney.
- Have students work individually or in pairs to create their own problem for others to solve, based on flight and time zone information that they find in their online research.
- Have students find solutions to other's time zone problems.
Solution to the problem
A map or online information will confirm that Sydney is further away from Auckland than is Christchurch.
Sydney and Auckland are in two different time zones. When it is 1:00pm in Auckland it is 11:00am in Sydney. When the plane lands in Sydney at 2:30pm, it is 4:30pm in Auckland. Flight time Auckland to Sydney is around 3.5 hours, and to Christchurch around 1.5 hours.