The purpose of this activity is to help your child learn addition facts with multiples of ten. For example, 70 + 70 = 140.
Link to Number Framework:
Number Facts, Stage 5.
What you need:
- A set of cards with the face cards and number ten in each suit removed.
- 2 pieces of paper, with a “0" drawn on the right hand side.
What to do:
- Shuffle the cards and place them in a pile face down.
- Take 2 cards and place them on the left hand side of each piece of paper. This forms 2 numbers that are multiples of ten. For example 70 and 60 are shown as:
- Ask your child to add the 2 numbers together.
- Repeat using other cards to make other addition problems. Take turns with your child to deal out the cards and solve the problems.
What to expect your child to do:
- Use the addition facts they know to help them find the answers. For example, if they know 4 + 8 is 12, they can use this to identify that 40 + 80 = 120.
Related Māori vocab:
|tens number||tau ngahuru|