The purpose of this activity is to help your child to instantly recall their subtraction facts to 20.
Link to the Number Framework:
Number facts, Stage 6
What you need:
- Sets of number cards 1 – 10. (PDF, 37KB) You can print these or make your own.
- Cardboard. (Old cereal boxes are good)
What to do:
- Print the number cards and glue them on to cardboard or write the numbers on cardboard cards.
- Shuffle the number cards and hold them face down in a pile in your hand.
- Ask your child to choose a number between 11 – 20. Then flip over the top card over and ask them to subtract that number from the number they have chosen.
- The aim is to practice instant recall so the activity needs to be quick. If the child answers quickly and correctly give them the card, if not put it back into your pile.
- The activity continues until your child has collected each card from you.
What to expect your child to do:
- To instantly recall the addition facts up to 20.
- Two players could compete against each other to give the answer.
- A timer could be used to compete against.
- The child could choose the same number between 11 and 20 to focus on.
- You could choose the number between 11 and 20 and your child could flip the 1 – 10 cards over.
He Kupu Māori:
|subtract, take away||tango (-hia)|