The purpose of this activity is to help your child to learn to round to the nearest whole number.
Link to the Number Framework:
Place value, Stage 6
What you need:
- Supermarket receipt
- Pen and paper
What to do:
- Give your child a supermarket shopping receipt and look at the prices together.
- Ask them to round the prices to the nearest dollar or whole number. Remember that it is a convention to round 50 up to 100.
- Write down the prices rounded to the nearest dollar.
- Ask your child to add up the rounded prices and see how close it is to the actual cost.
What to expect your child to do:
- To be able to round the numbers to the nearest whole number.
- When you go shopping ask your child to try rounding the prices and add them up. See how close it is the actual prices at the checkout. It will be easier if there are not too many items.
He Kupu Māori:
|round (a number)||whakaawhiwhi (-a)|
|rounded price||utu whakaawhiwhi|