To help your child to learn the addition number facts to 5.
Link to the Number Framework:
Number Facts, Stage 0-3
What you need:
- A pack of cards. Use only the ace, 2, 3 and 4 for each suit, 16 cards in total.
What to do:
- Deal out 6 cards in a row, face up.
- Players take turns to pick up 2 or more cards that add to 5. For example 1+4, 2+1+1+1 or 3+2.
- At the end of each player’s turn, the cards they have removed are replaced from the deck.
- The game finishes when no further combinations can be found. The winner is the player with the greatest number of cards.
What to expect your child to do:
Be able to instantly recognise combinations of numbers that add to 5.
Related Māori vocab:
|addition facts||meka tāpiritanga|
|face up||anga kitea (face seen)|
|total (resulting from addition)||tapeke|
|pack of cards||pūkei kāri|