To help your child to learn the addition number facts to 10.
Link to the Number Framework:
Number Facts, Stage 0-3
What you need:
- A pack of cards with the picture cards, jokers and tens removed. Ace is used as 1.
What to do:
- Deal out 10 cards in a row, face up.
- Players take turns to pick up 2 or more cards that add to 10. For example 3+7, 2+3+5, 2+1+4+3, 3+1+6.
- At the end of each player’s turn, the cards they have removed are replaced from the deck.
- The game finishes when no further combinations can be found. The winner is the player with the greatest number of cards.
What to expect your child to do:
Be able to instantly recognise combinations of numbers that add to 10.
Once your child is confident with the number facts to 10, choose a different target number. For example make all cards add to 12 or 15.
Related Māori vocab:
|addition facts||meka tāpiritanga|
|face up||anga kitea (face seen)|
|total (resulting from addition)||tapeke|