The purpose of this activity is to help your child to develop instant recall of addition facts to 20.
Link to Number Framework:
Number Facts, Stage 5
What you need:
- A pack of cards with the picture cards removed. Ace counts as 1; 40 cards in total.
What to do:
- Deal out the cards in 10 rows of 4 or 5 rows of 8.
- Players take turns to challenge the others. For example
I spy two cards that add to 12
- Players look for 2 cards next to each other, horizontally, vertically or diagonally, that add to the number specified.
- The player that finds the combination collects the 2 cards. If the combination of cards cannot be found, the player who posed the ‘I Spy’ question takes the two cards.
- If the player made an error and there is no such combination of cards, nobody collects any cards and the next player takes their turn.
- As cards are removed, the remaining cards are rearranged to fill in the spaces.
- The winner is the player with the most cards once all the cards have been collected.
- Add three cards to make the "I spy" total.
What to expect your child to do:
- At first children may need to count the symbols on the cards to work out the addition facts but expect them to develop instant recall.
Related Māori vocab:
|addition facts||meka tāpiritanga matua|