The purpose of this activity is to help you child practice basic addition facts.
Link to the Number Framework:
Number Facts, Stage 5
What you need:
- The game template (PDF, 37KB)
- Counters in two colours
- Two markers to indicate the numbers being added.
What to do:
- Player One starts by putting a marker under two numbers in the row below the board.
- The numbers are added and the answer on the board is covered with a counter of their chosen colour.
- Player Two moves only one marker to a new number in the row beneath the board. The new combination is added together and the answer is covered with a counter of their chosen colour.
- Play continues until one player has four of their counters in a row vertically, horizontally or diagonally. They are the winner.
- If the answer to adding two markers together is already covered the player loses that turn.
Related Māori vocab:
basic adition facts meka tāpiritanga matua counter porotiti vertical poutū horizontal huapae diagonal hauroki
Download a file of this activity:PDF (92KB) or Word (73KB)
Download a file of this activity including questions to ask in Māori:PDF (113KB) or Word (81KB)