The purpose of this activity is to help your child to develop instant knowledge of basic addition and subtraction facts to 5.
Link to Number Framework:
Number Facts, Stages 0 - 3
What you need:
- Game cards (PDF, 25KB). You can print these or make your own.
What to do:
Use the facts to 5 cards to play memory. The aim of the game is to find as many matching pairs as possible by remembering where the cards are.
- Spread out all the cards face down.
- Turn over 2 cards. If the 2 number facts have the same answer they match and players get to keep the pair. For example "5 – 1" and "3 + 1" are a matching pair. If the number facts don’t match, players replace the cards face down.
- Take turns to try and find a matching pair.
- The winner is the player with the most pairs at the end of the game.
You can also use the game cards as flash cards.
- Put the cards in a pile face down.
- Ask your child to turn over the top card and call out the answer to the number fact as fast as possible.
What to expect your child to do:
Children might use their fingers to help at first, but with practice they should be able to give the answers to the addition and subtraction facts instantly.
Related Māori vocab:
|basic addition facts||meka tāpiritanga matua|
|basic subtraction facts||meka tangohanga matua|
|matching pairs||takirua taurite|