The purpose of this activity is to help your child to develop instant knowledge of basic addition and subtraction facts from 6 to 10.
Link to Number Framework:
Number Facts, Stages 0-3
What you need:
- Game cards (PDF,21KB). You can print these or make your own.
What to do:
Use the facts to 10 cards to play memory. The aim of the game is to find as many matching pairs as possible by remembering where the cards are.
- Spread out all the cards face down.
- Turn over 2 cards. If the 2 number facts have the same answer they match and players get to keep the pair. For example "9 – 1" and "6 + 2" are a matching pair. If the number facts don’t match, players replace the cards face down.
- Take turns to try and find a matching pair.
- The winner is the player with the most pairs at the end of the game.
You can also use the game cards as flash cards.
- Put the cards in a pile face down.
- Ask your child to turn over the top card and call out the answer to the number fact as fast as possible.
What to expect your child to do:
Children might use their fingers to help at first, but with practice they should be able to give the answers to the addition and subtraction facts instantly.
This activity extends the knowledge developed in Facts to 5 – Memory and Flash Cards, Number Facts, Stages 0-3.
Related Māori vocab:
|decimal fraction||hautau ā-ira|
|decimal number||tau ā-ira|