The purpose of this activity is to help your child to learn the doubles to 10.
Link to the Number Framework:
Place Value, Stage 3
What you need:
- Socks or shoes. (Items that come in pairs)
What to do:
Put out 5 pairs of socks.
Pick up one pair of socks and ask your child:
- How many socks are in one pair?
Repeat with the other pairs asking:
- How many socks are in two pairs? three pairs? four pairs? five pairs?
- Ask your child how many shoes would be in 3 pairs?
Explain to your child pairs are the same as doubles.
- Ask them what is double one? Two? Three? Four? Five?
What to expect your child to do:
- Initially your child may need to count the items. They should progress to instantly recalling the doubles for 1 – 5.
Look for opportunities for children to practice recalling the doubles of numbers 1 – 5. For example, three people have two biscuits each how many biscuits is that, how many shoes are at the door.
He Kupu Māori:
|pair of socks||takirua tōkena|