The purpose of this activity is to help children count in twos.
Link to the Number Framework:
Number Sequence, Stage 4
What you need:
- A pack of cards with picture cards and jokers removed. (Ace =1)
What to do:
- Deal each player 6 cards.
- The other cards are placed face down in a pile.
- The player to the left of the dealer places a card from their hand face up on the table.
- Players take turns to place a card that is 2 greater than the card turned up. e.g If a 5 was turned up then a 7 is needed to have a turn. If the player can’t place a card he/she has to pick up a card from the deck. If that card can be placed the player can put it on the pile.
- When either a 9 or a 10 is placed on the pile, the next player starts the sequence again by placing any card they choose.
- The winner is the first player to get rid of their cards.
What to expect your child to do:
- Be able to count in twos from odd or even numbers to 10.
Related Māori vocab:
|pile of cards||putunga kāri|
|two bigger than||e rua te rahinga ake|