This section contains tutorials intended to support the mathematical content knowledge of teachers and to provide information on how to teach specific concepts. They can be used either by an individual, or as the basis for a staff meeting. The tutorials have been grouped based on the NDP book that they most strongly support.
Book 3: Getting Started
- Mathematical Tasks: This tutorial examines the forms of mathematical tasks used by teachers to support their students in learning mathematics.
- Written Recording: This tutorial describes the importance of written recording, and the types of recording likely to be used by students at different stages.
Book 4: Teaching Number Knowledge
- Basic Facts: A PowerPoint presentation and teaching resource around Basic Facts.
- Decimal Number System: This tutorial examines 4 mathematical ideas associated with the base-ten place value system.
Book 6: Teaching Multiplication and Division
- Multiplicative Thinking 1 (PPT, 1.1MB): The first in a series of three PowerPoint presentations on multiplicative thinking.
- Multiplicative Thinking 2 (PPT, 477KB): The second in a series of three PowerPoint presentations on multiplicative thinking.
Book 7: Teaching Fractions, Decimals and Percentages
- Fractions: A PowerPoint presentation and teaching scenarios relating to fractions.
- The Basics of Ratio (PPT, 50KB): A PowerPoint presentation introducing ratio and how it relates to fractions.
- Breakfast in Sydney (PPT, 57KB): A PowerPoint presentation using exchange rates as a context to explore proportional problems.
- Fraction Personalities (PPT, 626KB): A PowerPoint presentation about the three different ways fractions can be used: as a number, as an operator, and as a relationship between quantities.
- Ratios: This page describes the key ideas required to understand and teach ratios.
- Decimals, Fractions and Percentages: This tutorial examines the relationships between decimals, fractions and percentages.