GM1-3: Give and follow instructions for movement that involve distances, directions, and half or quarter turns.
This means students will be able to follow instructions given in distances, for example 14 steps; direction, for example facing the library; and angle (turn), for example do a half turn clockwise (right). They should become proficient at following a series of instructions. Students should also be able to give instructions.
- Students will be able to give a direction to another person using the vocabulary of position and orientation.
- Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the vocabulary of position and orientation through modeling.
- Use the language of direction to describe the route through a maze.
- Use the language of direction to guide a partner through a maze.
- Rotate their body and other objects through 1/4 and 1/2 turns.
- Follow a sequence of directions.
- Describe where objects are using the language of position.
- Give and follow instructions using the language of position and direction.
- Using words to explain where something is (its position)
- Giving and following directions for moving from place to place.
- Describes the position of an object.
- Follow and give directions involving 1/2 and 1/4 turns.
- Follow and give a sequence of instructions related to movement and position.
- Show a quarter turn and a half turn in a number of situations.
- See that two quarter turns equal one half turn.
- Recognise the ‘corner’ of a shape that is equivalent to a quarter turn.