Click to read about the purpose of the tasks below (show purpose).
The tasks in this section are intended:
- for students in year 2
- to complement similar class tasks
- to be a selection only of enjoyable learning opportunities for your child (and for you)
- to generate useful explanations and discussions between you and your child.
The tasks in this section are NOT:
- intended to be comprehensive in their coverage of all maths at year 2
- intended to be ‘one off’ tasks. Feel free to review or modify these to suit the needs of your child.
These Year 2 tasks recognise that students:
- are mostly working at level 1 of the NZ Curriculum, growing in their understanding of number, algebra, geometry, measurement and statistics
- are all different, and some find parts of maths easier or harder than others
- are learning to solve problems in different ways
- are learning that it’s okay to make a mistake and to have another go
- respond well to supportive questions from adults, such as, ‘What is the question asking you to do?’, or ‘What do you already know that might help you (solve the problem)?’
- enjoy exploring open tasks for which there can be a range of appropriate approaches and solutions
(accordingly, set answers are not included for a number of these tasks).
We suggest that you ask your child what kinds of things they have been doing in maths at school, and select a task from this menu.
Click for versions with Māori content.
|Helping hands (PDF, 256KB)||Count forwards and backwards in 2s, 5s and 10s.|
|Memory tens (PDF, 361KB)||Learn your addition facts to ten.|
|Dicing ten (PDF, 415KB)||Learn your addition facts to ten.|
|Keep the difference (PDF, 382KB)||Work out the difference between two numbers in your head.|
|Left overs (PDF, 455KB)||Understand how to share things equally.|
|Cover up kiwi: addition (PDF, 614KB)||Practise basic addition facts.|
|Create 50 (PDF, 342KB)||Practise adding numbers to 50.|
|It's a problem (PDF, 378KB)||Show how you can record the ways you solve problems.|
|Creature patterns (PDF, 409KB)||Make and describe simple animal patterns.|
|Follow me (PDF, 388KB)||Practise using and following words to describe position and movement.|
|Shape shifter (PDF, 219KB)||Recognise and sort common shapes.|
|Hands high (PDF, 346KB)||Measure lengths by counting 'how many' of a familiar object.|
|Coat hanger balance (PDF, 726KB)||Make and use a simple balance.|
|How many glassfuls? (PDF, 548KB)||Estimate and measure capacity.|
|Which holds more cups? (PDF, 697KB)||Compare capacity of containers.|
|Who will win? (PDF, 1.2MB)||Explore probability ideas in snakes and ladders.|