Click to read about the purpose of the tasks below (show purpose).
The tasks in this section are intended:
- for students in year 1
- to complement similar class tasks
- to be a selection only of enjoyable learning opportunities for your child (and for you)
- to generate useful explanations and discussions between you and your child.
The tasks in this section are NOT:
- intended to be comprehensive in their coverage of all maths at year 1
- intended to be ‘one off’ tasks. Feel free to review or modify these to suit the needs of your child.
These Year 1 tasks recognise that students:
- are mostly working at early level 1 of the NZ Curriculum, growing in their understanding of number, algebra, geometry, measurement and statistics
- are learning about numbers and how to read and write them, and about different kinds of maths tasks
- learn from tasks presented in a variety of ways
- respond well to supportive questions from adults, such as, ‘What do you know that might help you?’
- enjoy exploring open tasks and ‘discovering’ maths ideas.
We suggest that you ask your child what kinds of things they have been doing in maths at school, and select a task from this menu.
Click for versions with Māori content.
|Spot the numeral (PDF, 317KB)||Go on a hunt looking for numbers in and around your home.|
|Spot the number (PDF, 300KB)||Go on a hunt looking for larger numbers in and around your home.|
|Family maths (PDF, 531KB)||Make up and record number stories.|
|Fair shares (PDF, 778KB)||Understand how to share things equally.|
|Guess what I can see (PDF, 188KB)||I spy, using numbers of objects.|
|Cutting cakes (PDF, 610KB)||Find ways to cut a 'cake' into halves and quarters.|
|Bead patterns (PDF, 582KB)||Make and talk about patterns of beads.|
|Drawing and thinking (PDF, 1MB)||Show how you can record the ways you solve problems.|
|Hide and seek (PDF, 1MB)||Practise using words to describe position and movement.|
|Roll or not roll? (PDF, 869KB)||Think about why some things roll.|
|Time patterns (PDF, 435KB)||Place the events in a day (and a week) in order.|
|How long is long? (PDF, 619KB)||Practise estimating and comparing lengths.|
|Which holds most? (PDF, 731KB)||Compare the capacity of containers.|
|Human scales (PDF, 849KB)||Compare the weights of objects.|
|What's in the cupboard? (PDF, 1.1MB)||Sort objects into groups and compare the groups.|