The purpose of this activity is to help your child to learn to round to the nearest tenth.
Link to the Number Framework:
Place value, Stage 7
What you need:
- Supermarket receipt
- Pen and paper
What to do:
- Give your child a supermarket shopping receipt and look at the prices together.
- Ask them to round the prices to the nearest ten cent.
- Remember that it is a mathematical convention to round 5 up to 10 although some supermarkets round 5 down to the nearest ten. (For example, Pak'n Save, New World and Four Square)
- Write down the prices rounded to the nearest ten cents.
- Ask your child to add up the rounded prices using a calculator. See how close it is to the actual cost.
What to expect your child to do:
- To round numbers to the nearest tenth.
- Round other decimals to the nearest tenth. For example, measure lengths (in metres and centimeters) and round to the nearest 10 centimeters.
He Kupu Māori:
|round (a number)||whakaawhiwhi (-a)|
|rounded price||utu whakaawhiwhi|