The purpose of this activity is to help your child to learn halves of "-ty’ numbers to 100. For example, half of fifty is 25, half of seventy is 35.
Link to Number Framework:
Number Facts, Stage 5
What you need:
- Game cards (PDF, 28KB). You can print these or make your own. Put a dot on the back of the answer cards so these can easily be matched with the halves facts.
What to do:
Use the doubles and halves cards to play memory. The aim of the game is to find as many matching pairs as possible by remembering where the cards are.
- Spread out all the cards face down.
- Turn over 2 cards. If the cards match, for example; "1/2 of 80" and "40" players get to keep the pair. If the cards don’t match, players replace them face down.
- Take turns to try and find a matching pair.
- The winner is the player with the most pairs at the end of the game.
Have many pairs can you get?
What to expect your child to do:
Make links between the ‘-ty’ numbers and their corresponding halves, and develop instant recall of this knowledge.
Related Māori vocab:
|matching card||kāri taurite|