The purpose of this activity is to help your child to practice the division basic facts.
Link to the Number Framework:
Basic Facts, Stage 7
What you need:
- Cardboard to make flash cards.
What to do:
- Work with your child to make some flash cards.
- On one side of the card write the answer to a times table question up to 10 x 10. On the other side of the card write a factor of the number. Keep your choices to the times tables up to 10 x 10.
- For example if one side is 45 the other side could be 5 or 9.
- Give your child the cards with the 2 digit side up. The child reads this then flips it over and divides it by the number on the other side. Check they are correct. They can make a pile of correct answers and a pile to try again.
- When you make the Māoriginal cards remember some basic facts questions are easier. Make a mix of some facts your child knows and some new ones.
What to expect your child to do:
- To quickly recall the answers to the division basic facts.
- Your child can practice this activity without your supervision.
- Your child could time themselves to go through the pile.
- New cards can be added to the pile as they become fluent with the original numbers.
He Kupu Māori: