The purpose of this activity is to help your child to use percentage, fraction and decimal conversions in a practical situation.
Link to the Number Framework:
Number Facts, Stage 7
What to do:
Most stores have sales at strategic times of the year. When you see these sales, or the advertising circulars associated with them, take the opportunity to discuss with your child what savings are made if they take advantage of these sales. Posing questions similar to those below and asking your child to calculate the savings involved is a practical use of percentage, decimal and fraction knowledge.
- What fraction of the original price are the items being sold for in a two for one deal?
- What are the savings on a buy two and get one free deal?
- What fraction of the original price are the items being sold for if a store offers buy two and get one free?
- What fraction of the original price are the items being sold for if a store offers buy two and get the second one for half price?
- What are the savings on particular items in a 30% or 25% off sale?
- What fraction of the original price are the items being sold for?
- What fraction of the original price are you saving?
What to expect your child to do:
- Use a variety of strategies to find the savings involved for this type of example.
- Explain the strategies they are using.
Related Māori vocab:
|two for one deal||hokorua mō te ututahi|
|buy two and get one free||hokona kia rua, ka utu-kore tētahi|
|savings (money saved in a transaction)||moni pupuri|
|original price||utu tuatahi|
|savings (money being saved in an account)||moni penapena|
|buy two and get one for half price||hokona kia rua, ka utu-haurua tētahi|