H: Learning to use decimals to solve problems
Target group: Students in years 6–8
- representing decimals on a number line
- understanding the effect that operations have on decimals
- using decimal numbers to solve problems.
Teacher observation over a range of activities
The student has strategies for working with whole numbers and a sound knowledge of place value for whole numbers, with a fast and fluent recall of basic facts. They may struggle when working with decimal amounts, either ignoring them or treating them as whole numbers. The student may have difficulty converting simple decimals into fractions and vice versa.
Possible barriers to the student’s progress
- Difficulty placing decimals on a number line
- Weak understanding of decimal place value
- Difficulty multiplying decimals
Click to download as a PDF (1.2MB).